Privacy Notice - Malaysia
Last updated: September 2022
NIUM SDN. BHD. (formerly known as Instarem Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.) (hereinafter Instarem – powered by NIUM) respects your
rights to privacy. Instarem (powered by NIUM) deals with personal information collected in accordance with this privacy
notice (notice). When used in this notice, “personal information” refers to any information or opinion, which relates
directly or indirectly to you. This includes any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact you.
What Kinds of Personal Information Do We Collect and Hold?The Customer wishes to transact with Instarem (powered by NIUM) for remittance of currencies domestically & internationally in accordance with the Customer’s instructions from time to time, and in accordance with the terms and conditions contained herein. The types of personal information that we collect, and share depend on the product or service you avail from us. This information can include, without limitation:
- government identification numbers, such as National identification card information, driver’s license, state identification, passport, visa, tax identification, etc.;
- name, address, email address, mobile and home telephone number, age, date of birth, gender, citizenship, salary range, occupation and other relevant contact information;
- information involving your account information, bank account details including debit, credit and transaction history with Instarem (powered by NIUM);
- computer and mobile device information, such as the domain and host you use to access the Internet; your computer’s IP address; mobile device geolocation, number and other information from and about your device (such as device properties, settings, applications, stored information and usage) and carrier; the browser and operating system software you use; websites you have visited or later visit, social profile and network information; the date and time you access our website, the internet address used to link to our website when you visit us and cookie information.
Why Do We Collect Your Personal Information?We collect most personal information directly from you through the access and use of the Instarem (powered by NIUM) website or mobile application. We may share the information with our affiliates to assist us in our business activities. We may also share the information if required by the governing law for the purpose of cooperation with government investigations. In addition, we may use or share your personal information in the following ways:
- to comply with any applicable legal and/or regulatory requirements;
- to notify you about changes in our Services;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Services safe and secure;
- to administer our services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to provide you with information about other similar goods and services we offer;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you.
How Do We Collect Personal Information?We collect most personal information directly from you by the following means:
- through the access and use of the Instarem (powered by NIUM) website or mobile application;
- through your registrastion for our services and/or by setting up an account with us;
- through your response to our loyalty program, a contest or claim to a prize announced by us;
- from any financial transaction you make with Instarem (powered by NIUM);
- through your subscribtion to our electronic publication such as newsletters, rate broadcast;
- from 3rd. party connected with you and/or dealing with us.
Who Do We Disclose Your Personal Information To, and Why?We may share your personal information with other companies in the Instarem (powered by NIUM) Group. Sometimes we may disclose your personal information to organizations outside the Instarem (powered by NIUM) Group such as:
- to our contractors or service providers for the purposes of conducting business and providing their services or products to you, including web hosting providers, IT systems administrators and payment processors;
- to our intermediary banks in order to process certain transactions on your behalf, for example, by disclosing your name and address;
- to any of our partners, agents or intermediaries who are a necessary part of the provision of our products and services;
- to international intermediaries to complete your transactions;
- to credit reporting bodies, if you are a client of Instarem (powered by NIUM) for the purpose of identifying you, in which case the information will be limited to your identity particulars, including but not limited to your name, gender, address, date of birth and driver’s license number;
- to any government regulatory bodies that normally require it or may request it.
Security of Information CollectedTo help protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we endeavor to use reasonable security measures. These measures can include physical, electronic and procedural safeguards such as computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. We also endeavor to limit access to personal information to only employees, agents and representatives that need to know. Despite our efforts, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access your personal information, transmissions to us, or may wrongly instruct you to disclose information to them by posing as Instarem (powered by NIUM) or by misinforming you about our services. Always use caution and good judgment when sending money and when using internet and mobile technologies.
Do We Disclose Personal Information Overseas?We may disclose your personal information to recipients located outside Malaysia. These entities may include:
- Instarem (powered by NIUM) Group companies;
- Instarem (powered by NIUM) Group service providers; and
- International Intermediaries.
To effect, administer and complete transactions or deliver products or services including, but not limited to:
- companies which help us run or improve the running of our business or which help us deliver products and services to you and to banks, card companies, reference agencies, etc.
- in order to comply with legal, regulatory, security and processing requirements, government (domestic and international) requirements, applicable to us or our affiliates or service providers, including but not limited to anti-money laundering laws; and
- to organizations which help us process transactions, validate customer information, and prevent debt, fraud, theft or loss.
We may disclose Information about current and former customers to perform marketing, business analysis and advertising services to companies with whom we have contractual or joint marketing arrangements upon notice that you have provided unambiguous consent (opt-in) for the use of Information for these purposes.
Access To and Correction of Personal InformationYou can request access to the personal information we hold about you. You can also ask for corrections to be made. To do so, please contact us on the details provided under “Contact us”.
Users Right to DeletionAs per the Instarem policies, deletion may apply where information has been collected from and about the customer for the purpose of an Instarem service and where: a customer that has partially registered; has an approved Instarem account; or has an active NIUM account. The individual can submit a request pertaining to the information held/collected about them to using the contact details listed below in section 12. The request will be assessed and handled in line with the Instarem’s internal Global Data Retention and Purging Policy which encompasses Instarem’s obligation to maintaining, keeping, archiving, purging the data in accordance to the applicable Privacy Laws.
Changes In The Privacy NoticeInstarem (powered by NIUM) reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement. We urge you to review this Privacy Statement when you visit to obtain the most current statement.
Resolving Your Privacy Concerns and Complaints – Your RightsIf you are concerned about how your personal information is being handled or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us on the details provided under ‘Contact us’. You may request (by contacting us in the manner set out below) details of the information we hold and request us to correct or erase any erroneous or outof-date information. We reserve the right to independently verify any claims made. To protect your privacy, we shall take reasonable steps to verify your identity before correcting any information per request. Where permitted by law, we reserve the right to collect a service charge for providing you any information in connection with your request.
Contact UsYou can contact us via the Help Centre available on our website or mobile application. Our Privacy Officer can also be contacted in relation to privacy concerns by writing to [email protected].
NIUM SDN. BHD. (formerly known as Instarem Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.) is regulated in Malaysia by the Central Bank of Malaysia under MY License Serial Number 00340
On this page
- What Kinds of Personal Information Do We Collect and Hold?
- Why Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
- How Do We Collect Personal Information?
- Who Do We Disclose Your Personal Information To, and Why?
- Security of Information Collected
- Do We Disclose Personal Information Overseas?
- Do We Use or Disclose Personal Information For Marketing?
- Access To and Correction of Personal Information
- Users Right to Deletion
- Changes In The Privacy Notice
- Resolving Your Privacy Concerns and Complaints – Your Rights
- Contact Us