5 non-work visas that allow you to experience living abroad

Expat lifeLifestyle
27 Jun 2023
7 mins read
Written by Team Instarem

Do you want to experience living in a foreign country but are not sure if you are ready for a long-term commitment?

Unsure if you are even suited for living abroad? If so, then consider applying for one of the five non-work visas we will discuss in this article!

These visas allow you to live in the host country for a set amount of time, usually 6 or 12 months. During that time, you can explore what it’s like to live there and see if it’s the right fit for you. So, without further ado, let’s get started!

Student Visa

If you’re looking to relocate to a new country, there’s no better way to trial a location than by doing a study abroad program. Not only will you get to experience student life in your chosen country, but you’ll also gain an insight into the local culture and way of life.

It can be an exchange program for a few months or even a full degree.

You can occasionally find programs taught entirely in English even in countries that don’t have it as an official language, which is great if your language skills aren’t up to scratch. You can also learn the language in school while on your student visa.

Student visas usually allow you to work part-time as well, so you can earn some money while you’re studying. Some examples of countries that have this allowance are Singapore, Canada, and Australia.

And, if you decide you like the place, many countries will let you stay for an additional year afterwards to look for an employer to sponsor you for a work visa.

To be eligible for a student visa, you’ll need to be enrolled in an accredited educational institution and have proof of financial support for the duration of your studies.

Language Learning Visa

Most people know that if they want to learn a new language, they’ll need to practice regularly. However, not everyone knows that there’s actually a language-learning visa that allows language learners to live in a country where their target language is spoken.

This visa kills two birds with one stone by allowing language learners to both practice their language skills and experience the culture first-hand. Plus, it’s a great way to meet new people and make friends from all over the world.

To be eligible for a language learning visa, applicants must usually be enrolled in a language program at an accredited institution.

With this visa, you can stay in the country for up to one year and take language classes at a local school or university.

One good example is Germany.  In order to obtain a language learning visa in Germany, you will need to have:

  • Your passport
  • Health insurance
  • Blocked account to prove financial means
  • Confirmation letter of language course registration, or a certificate of enrolment
  • Letter of motivation to explain your reasons
  • Paid visa fee (EUR 75)
  • Proof of commitment from a relative, friend, or business, who is a legal resident or registered legal entity in Germany

Take note that you are not allowed to work with this visa.

Au Pair Visa

The title comes from the French term “au pair”, which means “equal to” or “at par”. This means that the relationship between the au pair and the family is supposed to be equal.

The au pair is supposed to be like a member of the family, but only for a short period of time.

And that’s what au pair visas are supposed to resemble – for people who want to live in another country and work as a part of a family but with children for some form of equal returns.

The au pair program has an age cut-off – for young people between the ages of 18 and 30 who are not married and do not have children of their own.

To qualify for au pair visa, one must be healthy without any chronic diseases and have no criminal record. There might be educational qualifications such as a high school diploma in some countries.

Au pairs typically work around 30 hours a week and are responsible for tasks such as childcare, light housekeeping, and running errands. In exchange for their work, au pairs receive free room and board, as well as a small stipend.

If you choose to opt for this visa, you may need to enrol in language classes to improve your language skills as part of your visa requirements.

Working Holiday Visa

A working holiday visa is designed to allow college students and recent graduates to spend up to a year working abroad.

Working holiday visas can make it easier to get your foot in the door by finding a company to sponsor you. If you’re looking for an adventure and keen to explore the world, a working holiday visa might be the perfect option for you.

By the way, it’s always a good idea to save up as much money as possible beforehand.

Of course, part of the reason for going on a working holiday visa is to earn money. But you need to consider what you’ll be paid versus the cost of living in that country.

If your savings are enough to cushion you financially, then you’ll be in a much better position if things don’t work out as planned. And if they don’t, at least you’ll have the option of moving elsewhere.

Example of countries that offer such visas are:

Digital nomad visa

If you’re tired of the traditional 9-5 lifestyle, you’re not alone. An increasingly popular option for those looking for a more flexible lifestyle is the digital nomad visa.

By dictionary definition, a digital nomad is a person who earns a living by working online from anywhere in the world.

Basically, you can work from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection (and VPN).

Additionally, you’re not tied down to one location, so you can travel and see the world while still earning an income. And because you’re not limited by office space or equipment, you can often work more efficiently and cost-effectively than traditional businesses.

Currently, more than 40 countries offer digital nomad visas that make the transition easier.

Some of these visas allow spouses to come with you, so if you’re worried about leaving your significant other behind, don’t be.

If you’re considering making the switch to a digital nomad lifestyle, be sure to research the countries that offer digital nomad visas and make sure you meet the requirements before you make the jump.

No matter which type of visa you choose, be sure to open your mind and embrace the adventure

Living abroad can be a life-changing experience, but only if you let it. And if you have secured your visa, don’t forget to sign up for Instarem to move your money.

Here’s why:

Low transfer fees enable you to send money to multiple destinations without burning a hole in your pocket.

Easy and fast
Transferring money to other countries is typically an instant transaction.

Trusted and secure
Instarem is regulated by nine financial regulators across the globe. Instarem is a trusted licensed service provider with licenses in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, India, UK, US, EU, and Canada.

Earn loyalty points
You will be rewarded with loyalty points which are referred to as ‘InstaPoints’ for every transaction and referral you make via Instarem. You will then be able to redeem your points and get great discounts for future transactions. Remember, the more you transfer, the more you earn!

Absolutely no hidden costs. You will be in the know of the exact rates and fees applied to your money transfer.

Try Instarem for your next transfer.

Download the app or sign up here.

*Disclaimer: This article is intended for informational purposes only. All details are accurate at the time of publishing. Instarem has no affiliation or relationship with products or vendors mentioned.

About Instarem

Instarem stands at the forefront of international money transfer services, facilitating fast and secure transactions for both individuals and businesses. Our platform offers competitive exchange rates for popular currency pairs like USD to INR, SGD to INR, and AUD to INR. If you're looking to send money to India or transfer funds to any of 60+ global destinations, Instarem makes it easy for you. We are dedicated to simplifying cross-border payments, providing cutting-edge technology that support individuals and businesses alike in overcoming traditional fiscal barriers normally associated with banks. As a trusted and regulated brand under the umbrella of the Fintech Unicorn Nium Pte. Ltd., and its international subsidiaries, Instarem is your go-to for reliable global financial exchanges. Learn more about Instarem.