How to get a job in Australia from India 2024: (5 easy steps)
This article covers:
- Quick read section
- Do you know?
- How to get a job in Australia from India – 5 easy steps
- Best job opportunities in Australia for Indian candidates
- Job vacancy in Australia for Indians – Eligibility for Australian Jobs
- Australian Work Permits and Immigration Processes
- A brief on Australian workplace culture
- How to apply for jobs in Australia from India – Dos & Don’ts
- Before you go…
With a thriving job market, higher standard of living and beautiful landscapes, Australia is named among the most sought-after destinations in the world for tourism and living.
Many individuals aspire to work in a foreign country like Australia, and there is a constant question on their minds – Can I get a job in Australia from India? Well, of course. There is no shortage of job opportunities in Australia for Indian job seekers.
While getting a desired opportunity in the Australian job market is not a cakewalk, it is not impossible either. With knowledge and guidance, you can easily land the job of your dreams and live a fulfilling life in Australia.
In this blog, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of finding jobs in Australia from India in 2024. In addition, we will also highlight some other important information you need to know before applying for a job vacancy in Australia.
Quick read section
How to find jobs in Australia from India?
- Step 1: Research the Australian job sector
- Step 2: Curate an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) friendly resume and cover letter
- Step 3: Apply for relevant jobs
- Step 4: Get a suitable visa
- Step 5: Arrive in Australia and join your organization
Do you know?
- Wage rates in Australia have increased to 4.2% per annum, the highest since 2012.
- The unemployment rate in Australia is at an all-time low of 3.8%.
- With a total working population of 17,062,800, Australia has experienced a significant growth in the employment rate at an impressive 77.4%.
- With a minimum hourly wage of $23.23AUD, Australia ranks in 2nd position in the list of countries with the highest minimum wages.
How to get a job in Australia from India – 5 easy steps
Step 1: Research the Australian job market
Whether you are looking for on-site or work-from-home jobs in Australia from India, you must begin by performing thorough research on the Australian job market. The reason behind this is simple: every country has its strengths and weaknesses.
Searching for a job within sectors with higher growth potential will ensure higher and faster career growth. There are plenty of Australian job websites and portals where you can research and compare different job sectors.
Step 2: Build an ATS-friendly resume
Once you have identified a sector that aligns with your qualifications and work experience, your next step is to build a powerful resume and cover letter.
Thanks to technology, most employers use ATS (Applicant Tracking System) to filter the right candidates. It means you will not be short-listed if your resume is rejected by the ATS.
For this reason, it is strongly recommended to make your resume ATS-friendly. You can use a good quality ATS resume template for this purpose.
Step 3: Apply for jobs
The next important step is to start applying for jobs on Australian job websites, job portals, and the company’s official website.
Additionally, you can also reach out to HR firms and trusted recruitment agencies to speed up the process. While most of these firms offer paid services, they are worth considering the job assistance they provide.
Step 4: Apply for a suitable visa
This is another critical step to getting a job in Australia from India. You need to select the right visa category based on your preferences and initiate the visa application process.
Note that the application process, as well as the eligibility criteria, can differ depending on the type of visa and individual case of the applicants. Thus, understand the requirements carefully before proceeding with your application.
Step 5: Get your visa stamped
After your visa application gets approved, you can proceed with a few other immigration formalities. Once everything is done, get your visa stamped, schedule your flight, pack your bags, and you are all set to fly to Australia.
Must Read: How much does it cost to live in Australia?
Best job opportunities in Australia for Indian candidates
Top in-demand sectors
Annual salary (in AUD)
$101,569 – $169,279
$99,642 – $115,000
$92,517 – $110,008
Professional and Scientific Services
$90,569 – $108,544
Sales and Marketing
$84,072 – $103,202
$80,000 – $99,519
Finance and Accounting
$77,842 – $92,347
$60,000 – $75,000
You can also go through the Average Salary in Australia in 2024 – An Ultimate Guide for more details.
Job vacancy in Australia for Indians – Eligibility for Australian Jobs
The eligibility criteria for jobs in Australia vary based on job profile, sector, and the specific requirements of the employer. Multiple factors are taken into account to assess your eligibility for jobs in Australia. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Visa Requirements: Some Australian companies only accept job applications from candidates based in Australia or those who have a valid work permit.
- Educational Qualifications: Your educational qualifications and skills should align with the job profile you are applying for. Generally, having at least a bachelor’s degree is preferred for a majority of Australian job opportunities.
- Work Experience: The chances of getting a job in Australia with a few years of work experience are higher than seeking a job as a fresher. This is especially true if you are applying from India or anywhere outside Australia. Thus, it is recommended to gain some relevant work experience before planning to start your journey abroad. If not, obtain some relevant certifications to prove your skills to the potential Australian employer.
- English Language Proficiency: English proficiency tests like IELTS or PTE are required by a majority of jobs in Australia. However, there can be some exemptions for some specific jobs.
- Skill Assessment: Skill assessment is one of the most important parts of applying for an Australian work visa. To apply for a work permit, the applicant is required to select a relevant occupation from the Occupational Demand List of Australia.
This is an extensive list that mentions all the occupations that are facing skill shortages in the country. Note that every occupation has a specific skill-assessing body. For instance, all the occupations under IT are assessed by the ACS (Australian Computer Society). Similarly, TRA (Trade Recognition Australia) is responsible for trade-related occupations.
Australian Work Permits and Immigration Processes
The work visas in Australia can be divided into two categories as follows:
Australia Permanent Work Permits
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS): This visa is granted to highly skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian employer. With this visa, you can work and live permanently in Australia.
- Skilled Nominated visa: This visa also allows skilled workers to live as permanent residents and work permanently.
- Distinguished Talent visa: As the name suggests, this visa is designed for candidates with exceptional talent and global achievements in the fields of sports, arts, entertainment, science and research, etc.
Temporary Work permits
- Temporary Skill Shortage visa: It is a common work visa that comes with a validity of 2-4 years based on the specific requirements of an Australian employer. It requires two years of work experience. Further, the hiring organisation must prove that they are facing a talent shortage for the role they are hiring you for.
- Skilled Regional visa: It is a regional visa available for workers who want to take temporary jobs in regional areas of Australia.
- Temporary work visa: Also known as a Short Stay Specialist visa, it is available for highly expert professionals who are invited to work in the country.
- Working holiday visa: As the name suggests, this visa allows you to work in Australia while on holiday. It comes with a validity of 12 months and is available for people between 18 to 30 years of age.
Immigration Process for Australia
The immigration process to work in Australia from India is straightforward. It involves the following steps:
- Check your eligibility based on your qualifications and job profile.
- Select the right visa category.
- Get your skills assessed by the relevant Australian authority.
- Acquire an IELTS or any other relevant language proficiency test certificate.
- Submit your EoI (Expression of Interest).
- Apply for a suitable visa if you receive an invitation to apply.
- File your visa application.
- Get police clearance and medical certificates.
- Submit your biometrics.
- Get your visa stamped.
Also Read: Australian citizenship for Indians
A brief on Australian workplace culture
A balanced work-life culture is one of the major reasons why Australia attracts job seekers from all over the world. Companies diligently adhere to stringent labor laws to guarantee a fair and just working environment. Below are some perks of an Australian job vacancy for Indians:
- You only need to work 35-40 hours per week.
- The average salary in Australia is much higher than in the US or Canada.
- You will get plenty of growth opportunities via training and higher education programs.
- You are entitled to get 20-25 paid leaves per year. On top of it, you can avail of paid sick leave depending on your condition.
- Majority of Australian companies offer bonus programs to their employees based on their contributions and performance.
- Australia is one of the biggest and highly stable economies in the world. It means a plethora of high-paying job opportunities.
- You will also be entitled tovarious employee benefits such as retirement plans, healthcare allowance, profit-sharing schemes, paid trips, and more.
How to apply for jobs in Australia from India – Dos & Don’ts
- Research well before applying for a job.
- Modify your resume as per the specific job profile.
- Build a strong online presence and professional network on platforms like LinkedIn.
- Build an impactful LinkedIn profile.
- Upskill yourself by getting relevant certifications.
- Stay positive and apply for multiple jobs every day to land a perfect opportunity.
- Don’t use a single resume for all types of jobs. Create an ATS-friendly resume and update it for every job you apply for.
- Don’t submit incomplete, incorrect, or forged documents. Not only can it lead to rejections, but it may also result in legal consequences.
- Don’t ignore changes in labour laws and policies.
- Don’t overlook visa requirements.
Also Read: 100+ Australian slangs & pronunciations
Before you go…
No doubt, Australia is a desirable country to work and live in. With never-ending growth opportunities and higher salaries, it is worth moving to Australia from India. So, take your first step towards turning your dream of working abroad into reality.
Once you secure a job in Australia, one of the important requirements would be to transfer money from Australia to India to your loved ones. In such scenarios, it is strongly advised to work with a reliable and trusted money transfer service provider like Instarem. It is a leading service provider that can help you transfer funds to/from 60+ countries in the world in an affordable#, fast**, and secure manner.
- What is the best approach to applying for jobs in Australia from India?
The most effective way to apply for jobs in Australia from India is to research your job sector, take an English proficiency test, prepare an ATS-friendly resume, and apply on online job portals and official websites of the target Australian employers. Once you are hired for a job, you can proceed with the immigration procedures.
- How to find jobs in Australia from India?
Finding a job in Australia is not as difficult as it sounds. There are multiple online platforms and job portals where you can find thousands of new job postings every day. You can also reach out to your connections in Australia and ask them for a reference in their organization.
- Which job is best for an Indian in Australia?
The answer depends on individual qualifications, skills, and personal preferences. The right approach to finding a desired job is to research in-demand occupations and apply for the ones that align with your skills and career goals.
- Does Australia need IELTS for a job?
Most foreign job candidates are required to clear English proficiency exams like IELTS and PTE to work in Australia. However, language proficiency requirements can vary in certain cases. Thus, it is advisable to check the requirements carefully before applying for a job.
- Can I directly apply for jobs in Australia from India?
Yes. You can directly apply for a job in Australia through the Australia job portal for Indians or the platform of a desired company. Alternatively, you can also reach out to the potential employee on networking platforms such as LinkedIn.
- How to get a job offer in Australia from India without PR?
It is possible to apply for a Job in Australia from India without PR. All you need to do is secure a job in Australia and apply for a work visa. In most cases, your Australian employer will be responsible for making visa arrangements on your behalf. Once you complete 5 years in Australia with a work permit, you will be eligible to apply for PR.
- How much can an international student earn in Australia?
The earnings of international students in Australia can vary based on factors such as working hours, hourly wages, type of work, and so on. It is important to note that students are not allowed to work for more than 20 hours per week. Some of the top part-time student jobs in Australia can help earn around $1700 to $1800 AUD per month.
- What is the age limit for working in Australia?
There is no specific age limit for working in Australia. However, some job opportunities and work visas may have age restrictions. In most cases, visa approval rates are higher for an age group of 25 to 35.
- Can I work for an Australian company from India?
Working for an Australian firm from India is only possible if it allows working remotely. For long-term employment, it is recommended to follow proper immigration procedures and secure a relevant work permit.
- This article is intended for informational purposes only. All details are accurate at the time of publishing. Instarem has no affiliation or relationship with products or vendors mentioned.
- **Fast means 75% of our transactions are completed in 15 minutes. Depending on the funding method.
- #When it comes to affordable exchange rates and fees, it’s worth noting that the cost will vary depending on how you choose to fund your transactions. Credit card funding and bank transfer fees can differ significantly.
Instarem stands at the forefront of international money transfer services, facilitating fast and secure transactions for both individuals and businesses. Our platform offers competitive exchange rates for popular currency pairs like USD to INR, SGD to INR, and AUD to INR. If you're looking to send money to India or transfer funds to any of 60+ global destinations, Instarem makes it easy for you. We are dedicated to simplifying cross-border payments, providing cutting-edge technology that support individuals and businesses alike in overcoming traditional fiscal barriers normally associated with banks. As a trusted and regulated brand under the umbrella of the Fintech Unicorn Nium Pte. Ltd., and its international subsidiaries, Instarem is your go-to for reliable global financial exchanges. Learn more about Instarem.